Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Gow dhaanam

My dear Ammakutty and Ammukutty.




Cows are considered to be purely sacred in Hinduism , thus the worship of  Kamadhenu is normal for hindu families. Cows play an important role in our itihasas and mythological stories as they are seen as mother who provides milk , thus they have lots of significance in hindu rituals. On our Amma's name , we chose to donate the cow and calf to a temple and this ritual is called Gow dhaanam. For the ever first time in my life , I witnessed and touched the cow and calf ! I was afraid of them but finally I learnt that they are so friendly. I called them Ammakutty and Ammukutty and later on we came to know that Ammakutty was pregnant! The grass and food was never enough for her. I was wondering why is she eating so much and we could never satisfy her hunger , but looks like the babykutty inside her tummy caused all moodswings for Ammakutty. Too many things to learn in India , It is INCREDIBLE INDIA !
Applying turmeric and kumkuma for Ammakutty!

That's me standing so near to the cow, I was excited of course!