Friday, December 10, 2010

Luxury or need ?

It's been sometime since I've heard of the word "maid" till my current block neighbour Kalpana went on talking about having a maid/servant. This is amusing and I thought I should write this now.........down the memory I may look back and re-think my views.

Maid, the word in itself carries a lot of meaning. I still could not adapt to the real Indian mindsets..... well....blame it on my school, family or friends but certainly I cannot tolerate bla blahs.

Making use of another person is claimed to be of status quo. Yes, I do understand that India is such a big country with overwhelming population and everyone needs a job as a mean of earning. I dont deny that. My heart cried when I saw children working in restaurants cleaning up tables and sweeping the floor. It was like...what the hell are they doing ? I was playing with my barbie doll at that age !!! I hardly came across Indian citizens who treated those tiny legs with due respect , at least with a heart ! I agree with the idea because when these children work, they earn a  little money to keep their life going though child labour is legally and morally wrong.

Now coming back to the bla blahs of  the maid subject , I do not understand why is everyone asking me again and again whether I had a maid when I lived in India. I cannot imagine seeing another lady working hard to keep my own home clean. Home is home anywhere in the world. People claim that in India it's dusty and they need a maid to sweep and mop their home :) Well , in my Malaysia , London and California , we live under a roof too. We still have dust , dirt and everything else people in India face. I'm not claiming or making a statement that I'm a superwoman and I could do wonders but I feel everyone have their own way of living their life. Unless I'm really not well , I may require someone's help to keep my home clean.

I am proud to say that I never had a maid :) You may think that I have no money to maintain a maid , but I feel lot more cleaner and healthier doing my own things and keeping my home clean by myself ! Psychologically and emotionally I feel that  I need to complete my own task.

Having a maid is a need or a luxury ? At least the working maids sweat their blood out to find an income to feed their families but the middle class wive's of working Indians in America are totally wasting their time talking about others ! Oh good lord , please give me the wisdom not to slap such fake people who are here to eat my mind !!!!!!!!