Monday, August 31, 2009

Remembering The Princess of Wales


Wow! Its been 12 years since the death of Princess Diana on August 31, 1997. Can you believe how fast time flies? It seems like yesterday I was waking up to get ready to college and read the morning news to find her death sprawled all over the front page. As I was always a fan, I was saddened by this. A woman who had selflessly given herself to help others in time of need. She did a lot for humanity and I certainly miss her presence here on earth.

Absolutely beautiful person inside out , she proved to be the people's princess. Princess Diana blossomed from a shy, private member of the British aristocracy into the people's princess. She was the most photographed member of the Royal Family, but the demand for pictures intruded on her private life even to her death. Truly an icon , she was a tireless campaigner for the dispossessed and disadvantaged, a woman whose support for individual organisations has been described as 'incalculable'.

I still remember the day I met the Prince of  Wales when I was in Buckingham University , where I was given the once in lifetime opportunity to welcome him with a bouquet of flowers ! It was an odd day which I did not know I was chosen to represent the students and I was in my Indian dress ! The Prince thought I'm from India and told me that I reminded him of the Princess because she loves to wear lots of Indian dresses ( Salwar Khameez ). He spoke of his fond memories , visiting Thailand when I informed him that I hailed from Malaysia :)