Friday, October 16, 2009

Festival of Lights , Diwali

An auspicious day to look forward for all Hindus in the world....because it's time to light up our home with the light of joy and happiness ! It's Deepavali / Diwali joy.The Festival of Lights signify the victory of good over the evil within us…

As a child , I've always looked forward this festival. On this  festival day , everyone starts  waking up early in the morning before sunrise and having an oil bath… and the whole day, we will be in the festive mood… New dresses… Sweets… Bursting crackers… Watching the special TV programs and visiting friends home. Aah.. those days of childhood where we visit our grandma's home in Port Dickson.... she would do some traditional sweets like laddoos and ghee balls. Such a fun filled childhood. Diwali really means a lot for kids.

Whenever we speak or think about this festival, we would be getting the thoughts of above joy and happiness… In one side as we all are celebrating in the festive mood… there is another side of people that we have to think about…

Right now my  thoughts are on the other side of people , who are celebrating the same festival by just looking at the colorful lights in the sky…? Yes… Children in orphanages… Aged people in homes… Helpless men, women & children on roads… It is not that these people don’t want to celebrate the festival as we do… It is that they are in a situation that they cannot…and I can truly understand how they feel. The most beautiful thing in the world is sharing. I wish I could share all my joys and happiness and light up someone's life.... ! It hurt me the most when I first visited India , a scene which I've never seen in my life before. Do such scenes still exist in the world ? I could not just control my tears seeing small babies , ladies carrying infants and begging for a rupee. There are parents who've been abandoned by their own children. When everyone screams of joy and happiness , what do these people deserve loneliness and pains.... just looking at others...  I want to do something instead of feeling pity for them…when I get the right opportunity.

I am looking forward the real "Ananda Deepavali" ie Joyful Diwali where I can really share the happiness of lights with people who are less fortunate. I also cant wait to meet my family back in Malaysia and India. No festival is perfect without family members around us.

The words of Swami Sivananda have been ringing in my ears..... "All the lights of the world cannot be compared even to a ray of inner light of the self. Merge yourself in this light of lights and enjoy the bliss of the brightest of lights - God".


 Wishing everyone a very happy , prosperous and safe Diwali !