Monday, September 24, 2012

Power of Yoga.

When I think of  the word "Yoga" , I could only visualize my MIND and BODY. Yoga is an ancient Indian art of well being derived from Yoga Sutra ( Patanjali ). Yoga is a form of mind, body and spiritual discipline. Many people tend to think that yoga is a form of meditation, yes, in my opinion I believe my body and mind need to meditate to combat daily stress and keep me focused.

The joy of yoga is undescribable. One should experience the positive side and feel the flow of oxygen in our blood streams. I just love the simple yoga stretches which helps to strengthen the entire body. After all , we certainly want to rejuvenate our body doing wanted and unwanted chores in our daily life meeting all sorts of people!

I had the chance of  re-starting my yoga routine after a couple of years of break in the US. I know I'm not good in managing my time back in US but I'm still going to try out how to manage my time and being well. I guess I'm lucky to talk to my yoga guru and I came to know about the yoga theraphy for cancer patients and survivors. The yoga theraphy also helps to stimulate the anti-cancer immune functions.

You can pass on the secrets of yoga theraphy to your loved ones and anyone who are called the warriors of life.

1. Alternative nostril breathing. Sit in a comfortable position. Close your eyes and be aware of  breath flowing through your nostrils. Place your right index and middle finger at the eyebrow centre. Close your right nostril with your thumb and inhale through your left nostril. Close your left nostril with your ring finger , release your thumb now and exhale through your right nostril Vice versa, repeat this upto 4 times on each side. Not only that this helps to prevent sinus congestions but this pranayama definitely helps to balance your mind and soothe anxiety.

2. Ardha chakrasana.This is called the half moon pose. This is done standing straight with feets slightly apart. Bend the body behind making it a perfect C - curve.

3. Pada Hastasana. Standing and bending forward knees.

4. Shashankasana. Shashank in itself is made up of two words, ‘shash’ meaning ‘hare’ and ‘ank’ meaning ‘lap’. The Shashankasana Pose is said to benefit the practitioner by helping in calming the nerves and providing a feeling of tranquility.

5. Ushtrasana. The camel pose - kneeling position where hands are taken on heels. One of the best asana for asthma patients.

6. Vajrasana. Sitting position with knees bent and palms on thighs , mainly the pranayama position.

Precaution

The people having stiff joints and whose movements have become difficult, should practice this Asana with a lot of care. Such persons should practice this Asana after getting the joints free and relaxed. If you have any doubts, consult your gp for clarity especially if you have low or high blood pressure, heart problems and asthma.