Sunday, January 13, 2013

BHOGI PONGAL / MAKARA SANKRANTHI 2013

The Indian Thanksgiving festival of  the South India, particularly Tamil Nadu is known as Thai Pongal :) Thai is a tamil month where the sun travels to north from the southern most limit i.e. it's the beginning of  the first 6 months of  Uttarayana.

The concept is simple as to those days people lived on farming. Therefore after moonsoon and winter, it's the harvesting festival. Therefore we thank the Sun god for providing us food all along the year. The Thai month is the beginning of the auspicious month for marriages too.

Every year pongal festival holds a very special memory :) Mom and I was interviewed in the local newspaper  couple of  years ago before I was married!

Since January is very close to our heart, each and every day is a memorable day of my travel to India. I know I did not do much in the US but this year though Bee is faraway, I decorated my pooja room as much as I could and hey, guess what.............. found a mango leaf resembling Ganesha's trunk!

Wishing all of  you  a bright and prosperous year. Happy Pongal ! Now, I cant wait for  our lunar new year!!!